“Akamai Technologies, Inc. is a content delivery network (CDN) and cloud services provider” – Source
Ethical design violations
(Learn more about Ethical Design.)
Decentralised, free and open alternatives that adhere closer to the Ethical Design Manifesto:
- Use a CDN that doesn’t track people or serve your content from your own servers.
Although the content itself is allowed to load, we block cookies to make sure that it does not track people.
- trigger: - url-filter: akamaihd.net - action: - type: block-cookies
High: found on 2.8% of surveyed sites (204 instances observed).
- Akamai’s content delivery network is one of the world’s largest distributed computing platforms, responsible for serving between 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic.
- "Because it stores copies of websites, Akamai has the potential to access 15% to 30% of total Web traffic. Two years ago, it began offering to track Web users’ browsing activity for advertising purposes. But instead of using pixels to monitor Web users as they move from page to page within a website, Akamai can simply view those users’ movements directly. So it doesn’t need to get pixels on every page." Source
- “‘We can do that data collection because of the fact that we’re doing site acceleration and content delivery,’ says Perry Stoll, a senior manager of engineering in Akamai’s advertising unit.” Source
Better is a Safari content blocker for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It protects you from trackers and malvertising by enforcing the principles of Ethical Design.
Improve page | Report issue | Discuss