“At Magnetic, we are in the business of knowing what you’re interested in…” – Source
Creepy much? – Ed.
Ethical design violations
Block domain domdex.com
High: found on 1.5% of surveyed sites (107 instances observed).
- “We collect and use information from across the web and beyond… We also employ a variety of tools to try to figure out which browsers or devices belong to you… To help us do this, we may collect your IP address, e-mail address, and other information about you or your devices.” Source
- “Unique Identifiers. We may collect unique user identifiers from your browsers or devices. This may include, for instance, a unique identifier associated with a cookie on your browser, or a mobile advertising identifier associated with your mobile device, such as an Apple IDFA or an Android Ad ID.” Source
- “Data Segments. We may collect or create, by or through our relationships with our Customers and Partners, information regarding your general interests, which is often based on de-identified online or offline activities, and which is generally used by marketers to send more relevant ads or to better understand their customers. This information is aggregated into online audiences and may be used to tailor ads and other services to consumers with particular interests (e.g., interests in sports or movies, or likely to be interested in receiving a particular ad, email, or piece of marketing). Sometimes these audiences are derived from purchase behavior or interactions with particular websites or mobile applications.” Source
- “We do occasionally create or offer (for ad targeting or analytics usage) Data Segments regarding general health-related interests, such as diet, fitness, or smoking, to help determine which ads a person might be interested in.” Source
- “Data Enhancement and Combination. We may combine the Service Information listed above, or enhance it with other information that we obtain from other sources, to improve our Services. When we do this, we often use data “hashing” and other methods to de-identify or obfuscate information considered “personal,” such as email addresses.” Source
Better is a Safari content blocker for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It protects you from trackers and malvertising by enforcing the principles of Ethical Design.
Improve page | Report issue | Discuss