“Skimlinks is a content monetisation platform for online publishers (including but not limited to editorial sites, forums, bloggers, social networks, and app developers) that specialises in in-text, contextual advertising.” – Source
Ethical design violations
(Learn more about Ethical Design.)
Invisible tracking pixel.
Block domain skimresources.com
High: found on 1.7% of surveyed sites (121 instances observed).
- “Comtent: Com•tent (kom-tent) noun 1. Short for commerce-related content, comtent is editorial content centered around products, retailers, brands or services. Examples: product galleries, reviews, features, gift guides, wish lists and deal news. Synonyms: shoppable content, product-driven content, commerce content. Skimlinks helps you make money and gain insights from your commerce-related content” Source
- “Investors: Funds have been raised from investors including The Accelerator Group, Sussex Place Ventures, NESTA…” Source [Ah, nice to see a charity like NESTA funding a tracking company. Good show, ’ol chaps! – Ed.]
- “In 2014, Skimlinks drove $625 million in sales for over 20,000 vendors.” Source
- Collect and store information about links that Users click on…
- Collect and store information about Skimlinks Enabled Sites (or any web page viewed using Publisher Toolbars)…
- Drop a Skimlinks cookie when a User visits a web page or clicks an outbound link, so we can record anonymous information about the pages, links and Merchants visited by Users across our Publisher network…
- Synchronize anonymous cookie identifiers with third parties to enable us to share and license anonymised audience segments with third parties to support services including, but not limited to, customisation of websites, targeting of content, and advertising optimization.” Source
Better is a Safari content blocker for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It protects you from trackers and malvertising by enforcing the principles of Ethical Design.
Improve page | Report issue | Discuss